Our autism workshops for parents are designed to help improve communication and outcomes with your child and their school. You’ll be guided by trained facilitators using evidence-informed techniques and materials that can be applied to your child’s unique needs.
Here’s what you can expect:
- current, evidence-informed information about the autism spectrum and how autism impacts on learning
- processes and strategies parents can use to build effective partnerships with their child’s teachers and school
- processes and strategies to effectively advocate and negotiate with the education system for specific learning support
- information about the processes local schools use to support students at all stages of education
Watch the following short video clip of a workshop in action to get a better understanding of what happens and the different activities that take place throughout the sessions.
ONLINE Parent and Carer Workshops - Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I join from my phone or do I need a tablet or laptop? What device is best?
Ideally a laptop or computer will allow you to maximise your experience in terms of using the chat box function and for clear viewing of the visuals. Second choice would be a tablet and as a last resort it is possible to use a phone but not recommended. If you do not have access to a laptop or computer we would suggest checking in with either your local library or perhaps your child’s school.
2. Will it be like a webinar?
Unlike a webinar where your only interaction is with the chat box, we are aiming to create a more interactive environment including discussions and virtual activities. During the virtual workshop you have the option to connect with the facilitators and other parents and carers via the chat box, live chat and video.
3. Can I join a workshop in NSW if I live in Victoria or QLD, seeing as they are all online?
With these workshops being a maximum of 20 participants, we can only allow participants from that region to join. You are welcome to contact us and express your interest in attending a particular workshop, and should a place be available close to the workshop date, the Team Leader for that workshop will contact you.
4. What will I need for the workshop? Do I need to download anything?
You will receive a link to a webpage on the Positive Partnerships website with all of the resources available to download as an option. This includes a work booklet and templates which you can then print off for your sessions. Upon registering if you indicate you do not have a printer, the Team Leader will be in touch to discuss options.
5. Can more than one member of my family attend using the same computer?
We would love any other parent, grandparent or full time carer from your household to join you. Each of you will need register for the workshop.
6. Do I need to download anything before the workshop so that I can access Zoom?
You can join a Zoom meeting simply by clicking on the meeting or workshop link. You do not need to download Zoom or create an account to be a participant. However we do recommend you ensure the sound is working on your device. Wearing a headset or earphones can also assist with your sound quality when on Zoom.
7. Will there be a cost to these workshops?
All of our online workshops are absolutely free. View the upcoming locations available now and open for registration.
Autism – Characteristics, Impacts and Strategies
- examines parent’s knowledge of autism and how autism directly impacts their child at home and school
- investigates a range of practical strategies to use at home and school to improve learning outcomes
- examines the function/purpose of behaviours
- recognising that understanding behaviour is the key to supporting children on the autism spectrum
- explores tools and strategies for Positive Behaviour Support
- examines ways for parents to strengthen partnerships between home, school and community
- increases awareness of support and services for families and how they can be accessed
- explores ways parents can advocate more effectively for their child’s needs
- helps parents develop a plan for moving forward
Understanding Sensory Processing
- explores sensory processing and the different ways children on the autism spectrum can be impacted by sensory needs
- identifies strategies that can be used to help manage and support children experiencing sensory processing issues
‘The Positive Partnerships workshop was a great way for me to learn more about my child’s condition and how to help him through his school life and further education. The workshop was varied, informative and organised and I loved it! I also networked with many other parents who I plan to stay in touch with as part of my support network.’
Parent, NSW, May 2017
Please note: We are constantly monitoring and assessing the safety of staff and participants at all of our workshops. Participants will be notified if any of our scheduled face to face workshops are moved to an online format to comply with Covid safe protocols.
When registering, we recommend using an internet browser such as Google Chrome, Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Edge. Please note that Microsoft Internet Explorer is not supported.
View our upcoming webinars